Tuesday, December 20, 2011

We're Going to the Rooftops!


As Hong Kong approaches and reviews have finished, I have been in contact with Dr.Ernest Chui trying to organize a visit to the rooftop slums so that I can ask residents questions, and get a better understanding of the physical and social characteristics of these communities. I am ecstatic because I found out today that I will be going on a trip to the rooftops!!!

Set for January 11 at 6:30 we will have an hour with the rooftop residents. The plan now is to speak with other members of the UD3 group who are interested in Sham Shui Po and plan out how we could make a book about the district, that intertwines all of our interests together.

I have also been looking to better understand the Tolerance vs. Demolition dynamic of the rooftop slums and Ernest Chui was kind enough to send me another one of his essays that provides a better grasp at this. The essay compares rooftop slums in Hong Kong with basement housing in Calgary. If anyone is interested in reading the article, I would be more than happy to share it! 

1 comment: