Thursday, December 22, 2011

City in the Sky Proposal | The Importance of the Section of the City

The more I look at the rooftop slum conditions, I am starting to think about what type of intervention I can make in Hong Kong. Right now, my mind is on a “city in the sky” ideal. I did some research on existing City in the Sky projects and stumbled upon this interesting Mega-Engineering Program about Tokyo as a Sky City. Check it out here:

To be successful in designing a city in the sky, I have to start assessing the section of the city in Hong Kong. Can I look at the slum-style conditions of fishing villages on the water level versus the slum-conditions of the rooftops? How are the rooftops accessed in section? Why is there no level 4 in Hong Kong buildings? What does a City in the Sky constitute in addition to simply an interconnected network? These are all questions on my mind as I prepare to venture to Hong Kong.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there ! I really enjoyed your posts about the rooftop communities in Hong Kong, thanks for sharing !
    I am doing a research studio at the moment about future medicine in Hong Kong and I'd like to focus on the rooftops and its communities, as we're trying to implement modular structures that accommodate small-scale health care facilities (preventive actions essentially). Do you know where I could collect some information (typologies, social behaviour etc) about the rooftop communities ?
    Thanks, take care !
    Alex, Master of Architecture, UWA
    alexmargeote@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete